The word, boards, has had me completely stressed out for the last two years. I had no idea all of the things that we had to go through to complete this program and to become a hygienists. I'm not sure if I would have applied if I had known, so I guess ignorance is bliss, right? The last two years have been so stressfull, but not because they were hard, in fact some of the classes were pretty easy, but because it is so frustrating trying to find pts and hope that they qualify for what you need, most importantly for boards. Oh and then there is the fact that you are stuck in the same classroom/clinic with all girls all the time. I think I had some unrealistic idea that I would have 30 great new friends at the end of all of this, but I am happy that I have a few that I will hopefully stay in touch with now that this is all over. Some I will probably never talk to again, and a couple I could care less if I talk to again. Sorry, just being totally honest since I can write whatever I want now that this is no longer a school assignment.
Boards went a lot better than I could have imagined. First of all, we found out about written boards the day of graduation. It was more exciting for me than the actual graduation. So nice to know that I won't have to take that long ass test ever again. The thing that was funny, is that I didn't start studying for it until about 3 weeks before and others had started studying in December, and from what I know our scores were about the same, so I guess I am just glad that I didn't waste months studying stuff that we had learned for the last year and a half. On friday, I took anesthesia written exam. I don't know why everyone says that it is so hard. The entire group that I took it with passed. I would rather take that test over the written hygiene test any day. I was feeling pretty good for the clinical anesthesia, but when I was setting up my room I started getting really nervous, but when I started to do my injection it went great. I wasn't shaky at all while giving the injections and just a little shaky while caping my needle. I passed on the first try which I think most people did as well. I was really happy to pass and really glad to be able to deposit the money order back into the bank. Oh, and I want to say thanks to my awesome peer pal that was my anesthesia pt on her birthday. Ok, for the big finale! I didn't have hygiene board until the afternoon on Sat. and I really felt like I was going to throw up that morning. I was trying to call my pts sister, since my pt speaks spanish I have been scheduling everything with her sister. I couldn't get a hold of her, but when I got to school, they were already there sitting in the class room waiting. My pt was a little annoyed at how long it would take, even though I had explained it to her multiple times, but agreed to stay once I reminded her that I would be paying her for it. She was a perfect patient. My first submission qualified, so I didn't have to lose any points there. I gave my pt. anesthesia without someone watching me for the first time ever, it was so nice not to have to wait for someone to watch me. The only thing that messed me up, is that when charting, they had marked the f/l probing the opposite that I am used to and didn't notice until I was almost done, so I had to swich the numbers, which I had written in pen. I think I should have double checked that when I was done, but I didn't. I had plenty of time and even ended early. The thing that sucked is that I got done about the same time as the people that started at 12, I started at 1230, so everyones pt was getting checked out at the same time or in line ahead of mine. It took about an hour and forty five for them to check her out. annoying. Hopefully I pass because I am totally broke and would have no way of paying to take the exam, paying for a pt to fly somewhere else, hotel rooms, etc.... The thing that I really think sucks about this exam, is if your pt doesn't qualify, and you cant find a back up that qualifies, you fail the exam. You don't even get to demonstrate you skills, and your out a lot of money and now don't have the resources to find another pt. If you have a pt that qualifies and you don't pass, then you are out about 6 months before you can take the exam again. I think the exam is pretty fair execpt for those 2 things. I thinkt hey could do a better way of making the sceduling more flexable since we are paying them a lot of money for the exam.
Ok this post is getting kind of long. I'm not sure if I am going to use this blog anymore, but I thought that some day I would block this whole thing out and it might be nice to read about some day. I am just going to enjoy the next few weeks like I passed and have a great time going boating, bbqing, spending time with friends, hiking with my dog, cleaning the house, reading a book for fun, and anything else that doesn't involve homework, group work, tests, boards, calling patients.......
Sunday, May 10, 2009
BOARDS....
Posted by tiffers at 10:48 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
Sounds like a great way to spend the next few weeks!
Post a Comment