Today I volunteered for the womens health connection. I decided to write about it here so that I don't forget or lose the paper over the summer. I wasn't really sure what to expect since we haven't done this before and we weren't really given much information. We ere supposed to be there at 8:30 and I got there just after 8 and when I walked in there I couldn't see anyone that I knew and finally I found everyone. It didn't start to get busy until around 9, but after that it was 1 pt right after the other with barely enough time to set back up again. It was kind of hard to do the screening with basically a lawn chair that reclined back and someone holding a flash light but surprisingly the disposable mirrors worked better than I expected. It was nice to do something for someone and hopefull those women will take some of our advice and get the dental work done and come up and see us to get their teeth cleaned. It is surprising to me that some of them haven't seen a dentist for years and look pretty good and others have been a lot more often and definately need to go again. It just goes to show you how important home care is and if most people would do it better then we might not even have jobs at all. The selfish part of me is glad, but part of me just wishes that people would take better care of their teeth. So many people are missing a lot of their molars and it doesn't even seem to bother them, but it is so sad to me. It makes me wonder if they just don't know how to care for their teeth or they just don't care. They must care a little because they were there, too bad they didn't care before their teeth were extracted. It is sad to me to see a lot of these pt. today. Even though I don't have perfect teeth it made me grateful that I have all of my teeth, well except the ones that I got removed on purpose. I think that today gave us a good opportunity to find some patients, we got a few names that were probably pretty good for next year, plus it was a good reminder of the types of people that we will see next year. I only stayed for half of the day and I am glad that I did. I don't know if it is because it is the end of the semester, but I fell really tired and I am definatly ready for a break from school.
Friday, April 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment